The Queen Mary Nurses Home was designed by Stephenson and Turner Architects, and built in the early 1950's in Sydney's Camperdown. It provided accommodation for nurses working at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH) until around 2002. After remaining vacant for over 10 years, it has recently been refurbished and repurposed as student housing for the University of Sydney.
ICS was engaged by FDC Construction and Fitout Pty Ltd to remove, restore and repurpose various remaining heritage items from the Nurses Home prior to its recent refurbishment. Items were cleaned and conserved as necessary in preparation for interpretive use. Many are now on display within the new Building.
ICS also worked with the heritage architects and interior designers to interpret the heritage of the building's contents using various heritage items including light fittings, laundry chutes, switch boards, hair dressing salon fittings, and various pieces of furniture.
For more information
Visit the webpage about this project on the FDC website
FDC Construction and Fitout Pty Ltd
Collection Management and Interpretation
1950's filing cabinet
installed in the refurbished
Queen Mary Nurses Home building
'Hair House' hair salon sign
1950's hair basins