25 Smith Street, Parramatta heritage interpretation
ICS was engaged to provide heritage interpretation services at 25 Smith Street Parramatta. An archaeological investigation on the site prior to construction of a modern office building revealed evidence of former occupation and uses of the site. Some of the key finds of the site include portions of a sandstone box drain crossing the site, flagstones, post holes of a residence constructed in the 1820s and a large number of movable heritage items.
The work we undertook included the development of an Interpretation Plan for the site, design and installation of interpretive devices, conservation of artefacts and archaeological remains, and preparation of objects for display. We also worked with the artist to develop practical solutions to the artwork and to integrate the heritage significance into the artist's intent.
- Development of Interpretation Plan for the site
- Design and installation of interpretive devices
- Management of interpretation device fabrication
- Cleaning and preparation of archaeological artefacts for display
- Design and documentation of conservation works to sandstone box drain remains on the site
- Collaboration with artist for two major artworks for the site