ICS has been involved with the City of Sydney bronze statues for a number of years, undertaking regular condition reporting and conservation as required. The statues we have worked on include Captain Cook, the Archibald Fountain, Edward VII on horseback, Shakespeare Memorial, Prince Albert, Queen Victoria, William Bede Dalley, Thomas Sutcliffe Mort and the cenotaph in Martin Place. We were also heavily involved with Sydney Statues: Project!, a public art project which involved dressing several well-known bronze statues around Sydney in elaborate costumes as part of the 2010 Art and About program.
- Remove corrosion products from bronze
- Heat sculpture, apply microcrystalline wax and buff to achieve approprites patination
- Clean dirt, grime, and staining and graffiti from plinth
- Provide treatment report and maintenance recommendation
- Risk assessment of statues selected for Sydney Statues: Project!
- Selection and evaluation of materials selected for use in Sydney Statues: Project!
City of Sydney
Queen Victoria bronze sculpture (before treatment)
Queen Victoria bronze sculpture detail (after treatment)
Queen Victoria bronze sculpture (after treatment)