Grissell Building, Alexandria
Architectural & Buildings Conservation
2009 Energy Australia National Trust Heritage Awards - Highly Commended for Conservation of Building under $1 million - Corporate/Government
The structure known as the Grissell Building, in acknowledgement of the original London manufacturer Henry Grissell, is comprised of a combination of cast and wrought iron parts. ICS conserved the remaining 27 columns and 9 trusses from the original building, in order for it to be re-erected at the site of the Meriton Apartments in the Alexandria NSW.
Scope of Works
ICS specified and supervised conservation works to all damaged metal elements, which involved:
- Transporting all cast iron columns and wrought iron trusses offsite for conservation works.
- Conservation repairs to broken cast iron columns, involving the insertion of new steel column splices inside the broken columns, and casting new cast iron column capitals and bases.
- Conservation repairs to flimsy and fragile cast and wrought iron truss parts, involving straigtening of wrought iron members, and welding of broken or cracked cast iron members, casting new support struts, and reassembly of trusses.
- Design and construction of support cradle for the 9 trusses, in order to lift and transport safely.
- Grit-blasting and painting.
- All trusses and columns transported back to the Meriton Apartments site for re-erection in landscaped park area.
To learn more about the heritage of the Grissell Building, click here.
Traditional Stonemasonry Company
Original truss support strut, damaged
New cast iron support strut, installed in truss
Grissell Building, re-erected