lowy institute for international policy
31 bligh st, sydney
Lowy Institute for International Policy, 31 Bligh St., Sydney
Lowy Institute for International Policy
International Conservation Services carried out conservation works to the internal finishes of the 3 storey 1880's building at 31 Bligh Street in preparation for its occupation by the Lowy Institute for International Policy. Originally the NSW Club, the building has been refurbished for use as a combination of offices and function spaces by the Lowy Institute for International Policy.
ICS cleaned the original decorative painted finishes on the ceiling of the entrance lobby, as well as conserving the 1970's reproductions of original finishes in a number of the other spaces. An original decorative scheme was identified beneath layers of paint to the ceiling in the main ground floor room, but left intact.
ICS also conserved the original 'leather paper' wallpaper finish in the first floor room. A range of timber finishes were also cleaned and conserved, including paper panelling, door and window frames, and the stair balustrade handrail.
The work was successfully carried out on an extremely tight construction program, with multiple trades working inside the building to complete the fitout for occupation by the Lowy Institute in time for scheduled functions.
Builder: Westfield Design and Construction
Architect: Jackson Teece